Hadamar

General information: First Jewish presence: 1616; peak Jewish population: 106 in 1885; Jewish population in 1933: 68
Summary: The Jewish community of Hadamar consecrated a cemetery, located to the south of the town, in 1813. Between 1770 and 1813, Hadamar Jews conducted services in a prayer room (29 seats). In 1841, the community inaugurated a synagogue (82 seats for men, 42 for women) on 6 Nonnengasse; the building housed a mikveh and a Jewish school whose teacher also served as chazzan and shochet. In 1933, 14 schoolchildren studied religion in Hadamar. The Jews of Langendernbach (28) and Hausen (5) were affiliated with the community. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue’s interior was destroyed; five Torah scrolls were burned. Neighboring residents, however, extinguished the ensuing fire. Jewish homes and property were damaged, women and children were arrested and detained for four days and 10 Jewish men were sent to Buchenwald. Seventeen Jews emigrated, 15 relocated within Germany, others left for unknown destinations and four committed suicide. In 1942, Hadamar’s remaining 20 Jews were deported to concentration camps. At least 52 Hadamar Jews perished in the Shoah. We also know that more than 10,000 people were murdered, as part of the Nazis’ euthanasia program, in Hadamar’s institution for the mentally ill. In 1953, the former synagogue was sold to an artist; and in 1982, the town converted the building into a memorial and cultural center. The cemetery received a memorial stone in 1970.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AH, AJ, EJL, PK-HNF
www.region-online.de/verband/gedenkstaette-hadamar
Located in: Hesse